Dance classes take the stage at winter showcase

As the year ends, dance students start preparing themselves to perform for their school at the Winter Dance Concert. The students involved in the dance department practice their dances almost every day.
This event took place Thursday, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m. in the theater. Brenda Saucedo and Karla Boone are involved in dance director Jennifer Dawson’s second period class that performed to ‘Dance with me.’
“I wasn’t nervous for the dance concert because I knew the dance pretty well and I felt comfortable with it,” Saucedo said.
According to Saucedo her class period had practiced their dance several times both before and after school in the theatre before going up on stage and performing it live.
“I thought the space they had to get ready and the limited amount of time was very hard to keep up with since it was different than she was used to,” Saucedo.
Although Saucedo admit the easiest part of the dance concert was performing the dance because we had rehearsed it so many times that it was muscle memory.
“The easiest part of the dance was the scoots we did as a cluster and in general when we did simple dance moves in a big group,” Boone said.
Boone admits that the hardest part was probably the flick kicks because she would get the arms and legs confused a lot but after time she finally got it right.
Saucedo said she felt so many different things before she danced.
“So many emotions were going through my head at the concert. My head was telling me to have fun while I danced because that’s the whole point of the show. It’s supposed to be enjoyable for both the dancers and the audience.” Saucedo said.
Boone said she was ready to just go on stage and perform.
“I honestly didn’t know what to think at the time but I was just reminding myself the next steps in the dance so I wouldn’t forget them,” Boone said.
Saucedo mentioned that she did gain some experience from this winter dance concert she was in.
“I learned so many new things about dance and what it’s like to work as a team. I learned that nothing will be accomplished in an activity like dance where you rely on your teammates without everyone giving it their best,” Saucedo said.
According to Boone all of her classmates were really excited about this performance because some of the girls in her class had never performed in front of a big audience.
“I was really excited about the ending where we could show off and feel confident about the dance,” Boone said.
Boone felt like she really put her best foot forward and did all she could at the showcase.
“It was so exciting to be able to show all my friends and family all the hard work we put into the show,” Saucedo said.
Boone mentioned how she much liked the concert in general but that there were specific things that popped out in the performance.
“I loved the old fashioned ‘sugar’ moves that we did with our partners, it was so cute and went with the song really well,” Boone said.
Dance students and directors have already begun preparing for the Spring concert next semester.