Chosen at random: Asia Vo

Robbie Warhola, Online Writer

Asia Vo is a junior here at Bowie High School. Chosen at random, she was interviewed to find out more about her. So in this week’s random student spotlight Asia Vo’s culinary hobbies will be further investigated and explored.

“I’ve always wanted to be in the culinary industry and in seventh grade I took culinary arts. In that class, my teacher told me that If I wanted to further my education in the culinary field, Bowie had a culinary program,” Vo said. “After that my main focus was to get into the Bowie district [because] I was zoned for Akins, take nutrition, get the best grades I could, and then maybe just maybe, if culinary would take me, get into the program.”

Culinary has allowed Vo to come out of her shell in order to coordinate with her team and better her efficiency in the kitchen.

“Back when I was younger, I was a relatively quiet person, I can still come off that way, but if you talk to any of my close friends, they’ll probably tell you how loud I can get once you get to know me. I’m kind of a soft spoken person if I don’t know you, but when you’re in culinary, you have to cooperate with others efficiently,” Vo said. “This really helped me come out of my shell and become a part of a community that is so broad.”

Outside of her culinary class Vo enjoys hanging out with her friends, playing video games and cooking as well as petting dogs.

“My hobbies include playing video games especially Nintendo, hanging out with friends, and cooking. And also petting dogs because dogs.” Vo said.

Overall, culinary has taught Vo many different things, such as coming out of her shell, working as a team, and how to build bonds with people that normally she never would have talked to.

““In culinary, our teams are very different from other classes where you’re forced into group assignments; together, we’re more like a family than anything,” Vo said. “Everyone in the program is so amazingly different that in any other circumstance, we probably wouldn’t have interacted with each other at all. Culinary gives us all this sort of bond that no other class can give, we’re a team, regardless of what happens we’ve all got each others’ backs.”