Running off the beaten path

Gigi Francis, Staff Writer

The gun flares as runners stumble to their feet, trying to pace themselves for the mile coming. Lap after lap, mile after mile, Dawson Warken continues to run.

Warken is a senior at James Bowie High School who has been running track in and outside of school. He was persuaded into running in 7th grade when they saw his potential and has been running ever since all through his high school career.

“I have ran track all four years of high school. I started running track in 7th grade. My 7th/8th grade soccer coaches inspired me to start running because they said I had great endurance,” Warken said.

While running track, Warken has received many awards that make it all worth it and keeps him doing what he loves.

“I have won a number of medals for specific races along with a team award of ‘Most Improved’ my sophomore year,” Warken said. “It feels great receiving an award for track because it make all of the hard work worth it.”

Running track is beneficial to Warken in more than one way, not only has he connected and made friendships with, but he can find peace through it.

“The experience on the team has been one of the best parts about track. The friendships I have made will be cherished. It also helps me clear my head and I enjoy exploring new places and trails to run on,” Warken said.

Running track helps Warken take his mind off of things and keep him is fit shape to make him a healthier person.

“Track plays a role in my everyday life because it has taught me that if I eat healthier then I perform better. Eating healthy on a day to day basis has become a part of my life because of track,” Warken said.    

Warken finds his passion for track when he’s running the track events and training.

“Dawson seems happy when he’s running. He’s always excited to go practice and train,” Hannah Erb said.

Each track meet has a process to get your body ready for the next day to run and compete, Dawson has his own routine before he goes to a meet or event.

“I prepare for a meet or track event by eating paste the night before, and continuing to stay hydrated during the day of the meet.  Warming up before I run is also vital to pre-run preparation,” Warken said.

After running and spending so much time on and off the track in this sport, Dawson is still unsure about further pursuing his passion for this sport.

“I have thought about continuing track after high school but it all depend on my times this season,” Warken said.

Although Warken spends a lot of time and effort into training, he finds a way to interact with many students on campus.

“Dawson is a very social kid who is great with all other students. He’s nice to everyone that he encounters and is the most down to earth person I know. I’m sure all of his other friends would say the same thing,” Erb said.

Warken is not only involved in track, he is also a part of the peer assistant and leadership program, otherwise known as PALS. Bowie teacher, Alejandro Garcia, runs the program. PALS is a class that allows its students to frequently visit local elementary schools to work with, and support children that have challenging life circumstances.   

“Dawson is a great young man whose life experiences have made him a fantastic mentor and friend to his peers and players alike. I can count on him to do anything and he always follows through with what he says he’ll do,” Garcia said.

Photo by Austyn Keelty