Interact International Service club

Interact International Service club is one of many clubs held at Bowie. It is Ms. Carli Valverde’s first year as the club sponsor.

“Interact is a Rotary International service club for students. We are sponsored by a local Rotary club, however, it is self-governed here at Bowie,” said Valverde. “We’re a small community of students ranging from 9th – 12th grade and offer several opportunities for students to volunteer around town.”

Gia Spencer is the Interact International Service Club’s president.

“I would summarize Interact club as a tight-knit group of people who love to put self over service,” said Spencer. “We meet every Thursday and play games and talking about what’s going on in each other’s lives and in our community, most importantly we talk about what we can do to change it for the better.”

The club accepts all students willing to join.

I would recommend [the club to] anyone who wants to help others, has a positive attitude and is passionate about giving back to the community!”, Spencer said.

The Interact International Service Club does many activities within their group.

“The club meets every Thursday and has a community service project about twice a month. The locations vary but they plan to help with Mobile Loaves and Fishes, Austin Pets Alive, Austin Food Bank, etc.,” Valverde said.

The club does activities within the school as well.
“We also do things around the school like putting up positive environmental, social, and cultural signs,”  Spencer said.

There are many things that students may not know about the IISC.

“I feel many people don’t know that as a lower tier of the Rotary club, we get many opportunities through the Rotary program such as; foreign exchange student programs and scholarships. We also exercise Rotary’s peace program and converse over controversial topics make signs that fight hate”, said Spencer.

Overall, the Interact International Service Club is a friendly environment/club to join.

“The meetings are fun to watch because our legacy members get so excited when we have new members show up and try to make them feel like they’ve always been part of the club”, said Valverde.

“My favorite thing about Interact club is how much we laugh and how willing everyone is to take a few hours to be completely selfless and serve our community,”  Spencer said.