Filed under Commentary

The guilty Crimes of J.K. Rowling

Back to Article
Back to Article

The guilty Crimes of J.K. Rowling

Photo by: Dalton Spruce

Photo by: Dalton Spruce

Photo by: Dalton Spruce

J. K. keeps saying “JK!” When I heard a prequel series to the wizarding world was coming out, I could barely contain my excitement. However, J.K. Rowling’s “Crimes of Grindelwald” is an ideal example of how the author has subtly continued to queerbait her audience by leading people to believe characters are on the LGBTQ+ spectrum only for it to be untrue or regarded very weakly.

This is a terribly unfair thing to do to one of the franchise’s most iconic characters who people like me have grown up attached to. People shouldn’t rally behind an author who barely glosses over relationships which many high schoolers and young fans are proud to be apart of.

After the original Harry Potter series had ended, Rowling revealed that Albus Dumbledore was gay and was once in a romantic relationship with Gellert Grindelwald. Having read the original series, I wasn’t looking forward to the new movie, as I knew Rowling would not appropriately contribute to the LGBTQ+ community.

This led fans, myself included, to rally behind a highly anticipated coming out for Dumbledore and Grindelwald in the new movie. Rowling hasn’t been known to have a diverse cast in her books, and it seemed to me that the author decided to suddenly make Dumbledore gay just to get a greater audience, specifically the LGBTQ+ community.

However as I expected, I did not get this big reveal of the two mens’ relationship that Rowling alluded to. Dumbledore’s sexuality itself was barely grazed over with only a couple of minor scenes no more than a minute or two.

With how brief the allusions were, they could easily be missed by audiences. It seemed as if they had a strong platonic bond rather than that of lovers.

Dumbledore didn’t have to flaunt around wearing a rainbow shirt, but a highly-recognized novelist could have made a greater effort to make the romance clearer in the film.

Authors aren’t obligated to put their characters on the LGBTQ+ spectrum; however, there comes a point where a line is crossed when it comes to making a relationship a little too unclear to the point where audiences are left feeling cheated.

It’s not impossible for a world-famous author to give audiences healthy portrayals of LGBTQ+ relationships. Renowned author Rick Riordan has had notable main characters who were gay and genderfluid. He has impacted generations of kids as Rowling has, but never glossed over important factors such as sexuality and gender just to get a greater audience.

Future generations, including those in this era, may eventually have individuals who find themselves identifying with the LGBTQ+ culture.

It’s important for teenagers in the midst of discovery to have access to healthy portrayal of trans, gay, and other individuals in the franchises they love and carry with them through life. By getting the hopes up of gay teens and allies, Rowling’s work will only further feelings of insecurity in people’s  sexuality and their identity.

The fact that Rowling, who influenced and still influences many people’s lives, is giving minuscule representation of an expanding culture in today’s society should be recognized by the younger generation so they don’t grow up hidden from a community that Rowling repeatedly seems keen on suppressing, nor follow in her narrow-minded footsteps.