AISD Police

Caught from footage from a security camera at the main entrance, these images show the clearest view of the vandal who broke many windows on the Bowie campus. The video shows them throwing several rocks at the front doors, which are just out of view. If you know this person call ATX Crime Stoppers at (512)472-8477.

Vandalism at Bowie Update

On the morning of December 13th, an estimated 75 to 100 or more windows were broken out of classrooms, offices, entry and exit doors to the fine arts and athletic halls as well as academic buildings by an unidentified vandal. Since that time new information has come in about the event, and work has continued to help the campus.

The most dangerous thing about the broken glass has been the amount of asbestos released. Clean up is on-track, and broken glass is being properly disposed of off-site. Until the glass can be replaced permanently, Plexiglas is being installed and protected with plywood.

Principal Mark Robinson expressed the danger of the vandalism, and considers the valuable lesson granted to the administration of Bowie during cleanup.

“If you have information about a crime it important to come forward with that for everyone’s general being,” Robinson said. “Being able to persevere and see things how they are and respond appropriately was one was the best thing we could learn.”

Some areas of the school are currently taped off because monitors have been set up to take in air quality readings in order to determine if that area of the campus is safe.

The Bowie PTSA has set up a donation page, under the title #BowieStrong, to support Bowie as the effects continue. 

“What the PTSA realized that they needed to right away, is what we see in a lot of disaster relief type situations,” Robinson said. “Instead of sending in stuff, they directed folks to do donations, so that way it was the best way to support students, staff, and campus.”

Last year’s Build Up Bowie fundraiser was extremely successful, allowing a revamp of the library’s furniture, and this primary goal of making Bowie safer has been set for the next campaign.

“The money raised will be the foundation of our spring Build Up Bowie campaign, which will go toward security cameras, improved sensors, and lighting.” PTSA President Mia Scroggs said.

According to Robinson, supporting and enhancing campus security has become a priority as part of the administration’s response to the situation.

“One of the reasons that the damage was so extensive and the search to find the suspect was longer than it needed it to be was because of the equipment,” Robinson said. “They are going to use security measures for Build Up Bowie this year, like cameras and lighting or maybe even alarms or alarms on doors.”

Work on the damages will continue through the weekend. School will continue with a C-day on Monday, and finals on a new schedule.

The Dispatch • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$420
$500