Filed under Commentary, Editorial

America’s equal government is now divided

Evaluating how voting can help relieve increased polarization and bias in the U.S. government

Back to Article
Back to Article

No matter an individual's beliefs concerning America's current political state, there is one undeniable ability Americans have that should be used to the fullest.

Photo by: Dalton Spruce

Photo by: Dalton Spruce

Photo by: Dalton Spruce

There is a divide in politics, and it’s not doing any favors for democracy or the people in America it represents. This divide comes down to the small number of citizens whose beliefs are being implemented by the government versus the country as a whole. Now that America is more split than ever before, voting has become crucial in battling marginalized representation.

Republican and Democrat politicians continuously place their individual values above basic American ones when making decisions and disregard what’s good for the country as a whole. As small demographics provide the most votes, the values of the few are turned into a representation of the many. This strays from the original idea of democracy on which our nation was founded.

In wake of the recent Kavanaugh investigation, even the Supreme Court has proven victim to political polarization. Brett Kavanaugh’s position was heavily determined based on his political beliefs rather than his morals and ability to interpret the Constitution without bias. There is now an exceptional  need for leaders who make judgements based on rule of law rather than personal views.

The actions of President Trump have also contributed to a fostering split in United States politics. By promoting his own beliefs on Twitter, he often misrepresents the values of American people by only conveying that of a minority. Also, Trump’s pro-business and pro-rich inclinations mean that his support primarily lies with a small fraction of the population instead of the whole country.

There is a simple solution to fix polarization in politics: vote. Ask yourself if the person you plan on voting for contributes to the problem, and if so, consider changing your vote.

Even if you believe that a divided government poses no threat, voting is still the best option.

Teenagers and young adults statistically have the lowest voter turnout, while the older generation has the highest amount of active voters. If a minority of people are turning out to vote the most, we are more likely to see their values heavily represented in American politics.

However, if more young people visit the polls, we can elect representatives who oppose polarization and better represent the wants of our demographic. Young people not voting enough or at all isn’t helping us see the change we look for in America, and ends in complaining without any real action.

We can only see democracy in America work if people of all demographics vote.