Austin to acquire new sports stadium

Columbus Crew Soccer Club makes the move from Ohio down to Texas

Naya Tillish, Reporter

Bright lights shine down on the field, thousands of fans occupy the stands, and cheering comes from every direction as the ref’s whistle marks the start of the game. 

These are the hopes the Austin Football Club has for the new, privately funded Major League Soccer stadium they have plans to build at McKalla Place near The Domain.

“Austin is an ideal city for Major League Soccer,” community engagement specialist of MLS2ATX Kelan Robinson said. “Austin is a young, diverse, tech-savvy, city that we believe will embrace the inclusive, welcoming and exciting experience MLS in Austin will bring.”

The Columbus Crew Football Club, a popular MLS team owned by Precourt Sports Ventures, is aiming move to Austin in order to become the new Austin FC team.

“Moving to Austin brings numerous benefits for not only the club, but also for Austinites,” Robinson said. “Precourt Sports Ventures will privately fund and build a $200 million soccer stadium and park.”

The stadium will hold 20,000 people and will serve as the home stadium for Austin FC, as well as a location for other important events in Austin.

There will be space for cultural events, community programming, music festivals and more,” Robinson said. “[Additionally], the park and trails will be open to the community 52 weeks a year.”

Because the stadium will be built in such a populated area, Precourt Sport Ventures is providing hundreds of millions of dollars to the community through donations and transportation improvements.

“I’ve heard that there may be an option to park in The Domain area, and shuttles could take you to the stadium,” girls soccer coach and history teacher Carrie Hoffman-Howell said. “That way The Domain is getting more business, and transportation to the stadium is more organized.”

Columbus Crew FC is determined to come to Austin, but their fans in Ohio are not pleased with the idea, and a lawsuit against Precourt Sports Ventures has made it a challenge.

“Major League Soccer is working to resolve the lawsuit,” Robinson said. “We are focused on bringing the team to Austin.”

MLS fans in Austin are really looking forward to having a team and stadium of their own.

“Soccer fans will be excited because they’ll finally have a team in the city to root for,” sophomore Lola Valeria said. “I’m mainly looking forward to going to some games with my friends and family.”

Valeria has been an MLS fan since she was young and currently plays soccer for Bowie and her club.

“I started watching games when I was little because of my dad, who first got me into soccer,” Valeria said. “Since the Austin team will be new, I’m not expecting them to be really good right away, but I think they will be a good team in the future.”

Hoffman-Howell believes the new stadium will positively impact the soccer community in Austin.

“I think soccer is pretty strong in the Austin area. The population of the sport is already here, so it makes sense that we’d have an MLS team,” Hoffman said. “I think the team will help grow the soccer fan base for sure. Everything helps it grow.”

Precourt Sports Ventures plans to give back to the community by reducing ticket prices to fit as many peoples’ budgets as possible and donating millions of dollars to local youth players and clubs.

“PSV is providing 1,000 comped tickets to each home game and 1,000 reduced-price tickets to each home game to allow as many Austinites as possible the chance to experience cheering on [their] hometown team,” Robinson said.

Austin FC has high hopes for the future, and they hope to benefit all Austinites through their new stadium.

“Austin is a proud melting pot of diverse cultures and communities. Soccer has the power to bring everyone together and unite all of Austin with its very first hometown professional sports team.”

Art by Sam Blas
Art by Sumin Kim