Ultimate prepares for next season

Sam Blas, Sports Editor

Last year, the Bowie Ultimate team won the Texas state championship.

“It felt very fulfilling,” captain Luke Broderick said. “I‘ve always wanted to win something that big and I never really had the chance to do that until I joined ultimate. I was super happy with what the outcome was and I hope we get to do it again next year.”

Club sponsor Kelly Tagle is particularly proud of the team.

“I can’t take any credit for what they were able to do, but I shared their joy,” Tagle said. “It’s just flat out awesome. There’s nothing like winning state.”

During the state tournament, the team played against Marcus High School from Dallas, who many of the ultimate team consider  rivals, according to captain Caroline Myers.

“Last year we were knocked out by our rivals, Marcus, by one point,” Myers said. “This year we were able to beat them. A lot of the kids knew each other on the other team because the ultimate community is very tight. So people from Bowie played against people they knew and it was fun to compete against each other.”

The team has high expectations coming into this season. Myers looks to the future with both caution and excitement.

“Many of our players were seniors last year, so we lost a lot of players for this year,” Myers said. “We need to get more and more people interested in ultimate that have never played before. I am very excited for the next season, but we still need to improve.”

When the team held an informational meeting to scout for new players, around fifty people showed up.

“I just think that there’s a lot of interest and we need to capitalize on that interest and use it to improve our team,” Tagle said. “That makes me so excited for this season because we’re going to have so many new people join.”