Staff Goodbyes: Kathleen Nguyen

Kathleen Nguyen, Copy Editor

Reminiscing back on the past four years of high school, I can proudly say that there is nothing I regret.

Freshman year was a whirlwind: I made the bold decision to join marching band. I was clueless to say the least. Prior to high school, I had absentmindedly wrote the extracurricular on my 8th grade choice sheet as a P.E. credit. When I arrived the first day in August, I was hit face first with reality. I was required to memorize music, learn drill, and put the two elements together. I hadn’t realized the depth of “marching band”. However, I took that year in stride and cherished every moment as a rookie.

Sophomore year was a revelation: I made the bold decision to quit marching band. Despite the joyous memories from my freshman year, I doubted myself and my abilities. So, I joined a different organization. Newspaper. That year I discovered not only a safe haven, but a passion towards a future career. I traveled to my first journalism convention in Orlando and fell in love. I found a creative outlet to express the thoughts in my mind as they became words on paper. That year I embraced my love for writing and begun to believe in myself.

Junior year was an enlightenment: I made the bold decision to rejoin marching band. Because of newspaper, I had the confidence to pursue band again. It was like reuniting with family. My love for the program grew significantly as I became closer with the clarinets and created memories that would last me a lifetime. However, this was also the year I learned to cut off any negative energy from my life.

Senior year was bittersweet: I made the bold decision to pursue journalism as a career path and committed to Temple University. This year has been the year of ‘lasts’. Last first day of school, last first day of marching band, last newspaper issue. To all the friendships I’ve made, thank you for reminding me to never give up and the endless laughs we’ve shared. To my mom, thank you for allowing me to follow my interests and believing in me. To Mr. Reeves and Dr. Rilling, thank you for supporting my dedication to creating work that inspires others and myself.

Despite my excitement towards the end of high school, it has taught me lessons that I will carry with me forever. I am looking forward to continuing my journey in the world and meeting new people along the way.