Cheer captain stunts into a new year

Ashley Ramirez, PE Editor

Bows and pointed toes, senior Jordan Bailey leads the 2017-2018 varsity squad as the varsity cheer captain.

Bailey developed a strong love of being a cheerleader when she was young.

“I started cheer leading when I was five and haven’t put the poms down since,” Bailey said.

Having been on the Bowie cheer team since her freshmen year, Bailey has always wanted to be in a leadership position.

“I have always loved taking on leadership positions,” Bailey said. “When I first made cheer I definitely hope to end up being the leader on the team, and I am so happy I ended up being this year’s captain.”

The position of captain is not just handed out but it requires a long application.

“They have to submit a formal notebook that has practice plans, essay questions regarding leadership and intentions they have with the community and school,and they have to go through and formal interview,” coach English teacher Amie Roggeman said.

Having the responsibility of leading 30 girls, Bailey is in charge of making sure everything is in order.

“Being captain comes with many responsibilities,” Bailey said. “Making sure they know what to wear, what to do, and where to go.”

Bailey not only helps the girls out but she assists Roggeman during practices and games.

“I assist my coach with leading practices, making routines, calling cheers at games and overall decision making,” Bailey said.

In addition to Bailey’s responsibilities, she must have the attitude that puts her team first.

“She is loyal to the program and so she put what the program needs above what she wants or desires,” Roggeman said. “Which to me makes a good leader, when you put others before yourself.”

Bailey could not lead the team alone so she has help from Co-Captains senior Kitty Lee and junior Mary Tijerina.

“Me and Jordan work together to make sure our cheer team is improving and progressing in their individual skills as well as team stunts, having fun, doing our best at every performance and game, and modeling what it means to be a representative of Bowie,” Lee said.

As well as performing at varsity football games, the team practices Monday through Thursday.

“A normal day at practice we start by rolling out the mats,” Bailey said. “We have a dynamic warm-up followed by stretching then we stunt, tumble, and practice a range from game day cheer to competition cheer.”

Because this is Bailey’s last year on the cheer team she is looking forwards cheering in college.

“Cheering in college is a true dream of mine,” Bailey said. “ If I got the chance, I would absolutely take it.”

Like previous captains Bailey encourages the team to do their best however she leads with a different perspective.

“Jordan is different from previous captains in that she has a bigger and more dominant personality, and really cares about bowie cheer and that we perform our best,” Lee said.

ALL SMILES: Senior varsity captain Jordan Bailey and senior Eliza Lopez cradle a youth cheerleader as she comes down from a stunt. Youth cheer teams preformed with the team at the Bowie v. Vista Ridge game. “Youth teams from around Austin get to come and cheer on the sidelines with us,”Bailey said. PHOTO BY Violet Glenewinkel