Soccer team ‘kicks’ into gear

Shelby Kelly, Staff Writer

The athletic fields were bursting with soccer players once again as the season kicked off  with tryouts. The sport’s winter season has started and both the coaches and players are ready to start another season.

There are four coaches leading soccer and the program consists of many players. Last year, the team made it to the first round of playoffs and now plan to get even better. The team’s biggest rivals this season consist of Lake Travis, Westlake and Del Valle.

Coach Ryan Logan is ready for another good season, explaining his great hopes and expectations.

“My expectations are high, we are returning five All District Players and we have 16 seniors on the roster,” Logan said.

Senior player Hayley Farr also shares her expectations for her final soccer year; she looks forward to see how the younger players will fit in.

“I am really looking forward to the younger players filling the roles of the seniors. It will be interesting to see who steps up the roles that are empty,” Farr said.

Whitney Johnson, who plays holding and attacking middle, has high expectations concerning the team’s goal in the future.

“Every year as a program we work to get further in the playoffs, I believe our goal this year is to get higher in district and get a first round win,” Johnson said.

Bowie soccer has many strengths, which coach Logan is excited to use.

“We play physical, and should be more mature with the amount of seniors we have,” Logan said.

Logan thinks Bowie will do great this year but already has some improvements set to go.

“I think we will be more focused on the job ahead of us and get further in Playoffs, I also think I have a stronger group of finishers up front,” Logan said.

Farr also recognizes some areas to work on.

“There will be a lot of seniors this year and it would be neat to be a whole team, I hope to be even more family oriented, sometimes we group up because of age or grade, but I hope we can all be family,” Farr says.

Coach Hoffman also shares her wisdom.

“We have skilled players that could be successful if they are willing to continue to work hard at practices and games,” Hoffman said.

Farr, a veteran in soccer, gives advice on how to continue as a good soccer team member.

“Give it all you’ve got, you cannot hold anything back. You only have a limited amount of time for the coaches to see you. Another thing the coaches like to see is not just your talent but also your attitude. If you do not have a good attitude coaches will not want to put up with you. Be respectful and a team player,” Farr said.

To be a good player you have to invest many hours.

“Soccer takes up a lot; I practice three times a week and usually have two games a weekend and most of the games are out of state, also on top of that I have to do any extra work I put on myself to practice,” Johnson said.

Most of Bowie soccer players have been playing for more than just in high school.

“I have been playing soccer for a really long time, about ten years. I don’t know if I will play at the college level. But I could never see myself completely giving up soccer, I love it.  Being around your teammates is so much fun. Its like you have another family,” Farr said.

The Bowie team members are just like family, there are many talented players, Farr points out.

“I have many amazing team members, one of them includes our goalie, who is a sophomore and is on the varsity team. She was a starter who also, like many others, I played club soccer with. There is another girl who is trying out this year and has been playing basketball the past couple of years, her name is Lexi Byone and she plays on her select team and is really good. I am really excited to see how she does this year,” Farr said.

Bowie soccer has done well and hopes to continue, Logan has some advice if you are considering to be on the team or if you’re still on it.

“Pass your classes, have a physical, and touch a ball as much as you can to strengthen your skill,” Logan says.

Games are already here, Coaches and players are ready to get back into the game, Hoffman is excited to get the season started.

“We start the season off with scrimmages and tournaments in early January.  Our first district game will be against Westlake at Westlake on January 26 at 7:15 pm,” Hoffman said.