Lunchtime for non-seniors

Cyrus Mitchell

Lunch is a 45-minute break where students have time to eat, hangout and it gives some students enough time to be able to leave campus and be back on time.

Amayah Reyes, J1 Reporter

High school is very flexible when it comes to lunch, students are able to sit inside and outside of the cafeteria, when you’re a senior you can leave campus to go out. But why do you have to be a senior? Why can’t all students leave?

Lunch is a 45-minute break where students have time to eat, hangout and it gives some students enough time to be able to leave campus and be back on time. If students have a way to go and get food off campus and be back on time, they should be able to leave if they want. It makes no difference if a senior or freshman were to leave and come back, as long as they follow rules and guidelines. 

Leaving school for 45 minutes out of an eight hour school day can be very good for students to clear their head and have a change of scenery. Being held in a certain area all day, working for hours can be very exhausting and draining for students’ mental health. 

Getting the chance to leave campus for a little part of the day will make kids more excited and happy to come to school and know they will be able to have some time for themselves or with their friends somewhere outside of school. 

Yes, there may be concerns that students will take this privilege for granted and come back to class late or not come back at all but that’s on those students. The actions of a couple of misbehaving students shouldnt impact the experience of the students that actually just want to go out and come back for lunch. 

Lots of juniors and seniors have cars which makes it easier and faster for them to leave and come back in a timely manner. If they took their car just down the street to the Sonic, Chipotle, or any gas station that’s just around the corner from Bowie, what’s the problem? 

Also, many freshmen and sophomores have friends or siblings that can drive them to get food and if that’s too much, they could easily walk to the end of the street to CVS or any other nearby place. 

I know we all know, freshmen and sophomores walk or drive off campus for lunch when they aren’t supposed to. The students still make it back on time for class and are able to go have fun and enjoy themselves, it’s a win-win for everyone.

Lunch is a good time to be able to do you and have a break from being in school all day.