LECTURES IN PRACTICE: New tennis head coach Craig Powell instructs junior Nicolas Ospina during morning practice. The team returned to practice after last week’s 11-0 loss to Westwood High School. (Sage Epstein)
LECTURES IN PRACTICE: New tennis head coach Craig Powell instructs junior Nicolas Ospina during morning practice. The team returned to practice after last week’s 11-0 loss to Westwood High School.

Sage Epstein

New tennis coach leads team through season

November 3, 2021

After the end of the 2020-2021 school year, former tennis coach James Dammann announced his retirement from coaching at Bowie. Soon after, the school announced that Craig Powell, who teaches Texas History at Paredes Middle School would be the new tennis coach.

Dammann, much loved by the team, had been coaching tennis for nine years before he resigned. After a commitment of that length, Dammann’s departure from the program was not an easy choice for him.

“I was getting some pre-cancer on my skin, getting treated,” Dammann said.  “I was just super dark tan and I would get dehydrated all the time no matter how much water I drank, it got to be a little much.”

Dammann, who teaches biology at Bowie did not think his commitment to the team would last too long. He had only intended to coach the tennis team until his daughter graduated in 2017, however the team kept him coming back.

“As a coach we always had great kids,” Dammann said. “We’ve always had a really good time as a whole team feeling about it, solid, click family vibes.”

Dammann now reminisces on his time on tennis, on the court and off the court. Despite the loss of the team itself, the leave isn’t all bad.

“It feels good, but I missed the kids from the team,” Dammann said. “It’s nice to not have to be out in the sun when it’s 130 degrees, and be home late at night dehydrated like a raisin.”

Soon after, the school announced to the tennis team Powell would be the new coach. Powell coached middle school tennis for 19 years before he made the switch to high school.

“They came to me during football camp and asked me if I would be interested,” Powell said. “I said yes.”

Coaching for a new school does not come without its challenges and adjustments. From having to learn where matches are held, to figuring out team rosters, Powell has his hands full.

“There is paper work and lack of equipment.” Powell said. “Becoming acquainted with the new school and its systems is a challenge.”

Navigating through his new occupation has not hindered his enthusiasm. Powell very much enjoys being the coach for Bowie Tennis.

“It’s always busy and it’s always rough,” Powell said. “But it’s worth it.”

When a new coach joins, the players must adjust as well. Some of these adjustments are more apparent to seasoned members of the team.

“Dammann had a lot of pre-established traditions with the team,” senior varsity player Cristina Canepa said “This year was a little more unpredictable with the new coach since we had to relearn things and we had to rework things differently than how they were the past 10 years.”

In all aspects of the team the players have had to change their tradition for the switch in leadership. This includes new schedules, change in tryouts.

“A difference this year is our practice schedule,” Canepa said. “This isn’t necessarily the coach’s fault, but  we don’t have a class period anymore so we lost our tennis period so we had to start playing in the mornings and after school.”

Despite the adjustments the players agree that Powell very much is able to pull the team together during matches. From his experience Powell is able to give effective pep talks and advice

“You can tell he has a sports background and I think that the way he speaks and the advice he gives after matches is very helpful,” Canepa said. “He definitely helps you with the mental side of the sport.”

New players are experience for the first time how that communication and mental support can make all the difference in the team’s bond. For Powell it goes beyond that.

“He brings the team together in practices by talking with everyone on what we are doing and having us know each and everyone on our team,” freshman varsity player Tristan Stine said. “In the matches he is great and cheers us on. He is constantly  walking around and watching every person on the team.”

Powell, after so many years of coaching tennis, has coached many students. However, these tennis players will hold a special place in his heart for many years to come.

“There are times when tennis kids are the players you wouldn’t find in any other sport,” Powell said. “It’s something I enjoy.”

The Dispatch • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$225
$750