Senior Goodbye: Amanda Zinni

Amanda Zinni, Copy Editor

At the beginning of freshman year, it seemed like there was an eternity before graduation. Now, only a few days from graduating, I find myself wondering where the time has gone. Between multiple surgeries and a pandemic, these four years have surpassed my expectations in the strangest ways. No matter what these years have thrown at me I know one thing for sure: I’ve changed a lot since freshman year.

One of the most important lessons that I’ve learned in high school is knowing when to quit. When I needed surgery on both of my legs to fix my knee problems, I was determined to try and get back on my feet and back to my activities as soon as possible. However, learning to walk again is no easy task and quickly proved more difficult than I expected. I was dedicated to marching band at the time, but quickly realized that I wouldn’t fully recover before the season started. Even though I was sad, I knew that focusing on my health was more important, so I quit the activity that had defined who I was for two years. This experience showed me that it was okay to take time to heal, a lesson that I hope to keep in mind during college and beyond.

I’m very grateful that I’ve had so much support from my family and friends throughout these four years. I’d like to thank my mom, my dad, and my younger sister for continuously supporting me through whatever challenges came my way. I’d also like to thank my friends for all the laughs, good times, and sleepovers. Lastly, I’d like to thank all of my teachers, but especially my english and history teachers who have influenced me to further pursue those subjects at Pace University this fall.

I’m very lucky to have been a part of many great organizations during my time at Bowie, but there will always be a special place in my heart for the Dispatch. Being a writer and copy editor has been incredibly fulfilling and I hope to continue my journalism career in college. I’ve loved being on this staff for the past three years and look forward to seeing what will be accomplished by this staff in the future!

While the last four years may not have been teenage-rom-com perfect, they certainly were memorable and filled with experiences that have shaped me into who I am today. I am incredibly grateful for the people in my life who have supported me throughout those changes and who have helped me navigate through these strange times. I’m so excited to see what the future holds!