Football Season

October 8, 2019

Rookie quarterback dominates

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rookie quarterback dominates

STAR PLAYER: Sophomore quarterback Diego Tello searches for a target as his opponent charges at him. Tello will be one of the varsity starting quarterbacks for the rest of this season.

Photo by: Abbey Repka

Photo by: Abbey Repka

Photo by: Abbey Repka

After countless early morning practices, dozens of late night games, individual training, and two years of playing football for the Dawgs, sophomore quarterback Diego Tello has earned a spot on the varsity team.

“Diego is a really good kid,” athletic director Jeff Ables said. “He’s playing hard and doing everything we’ve asked him to do.

Tello found his love for football at a young age.

“I have been playing football since I was four,” Tello said. “I started playing because I loved watching [it] as a kid.”

As a freshman, Tello was moved up to JVA after starting quarterback Trinidad Sanders got injured.

“We moved Diego to the JVA last year to get him more prepared to play tougher competition,” Ables said. “We liked him and he did a really good job of grasping our offense. It’s just the experience factor and getting reps that will help him improve his game. ”

My goal for this year is to help my team win in any way”

— Diego Tello

His coach-ability and intelligence allow him to compete with older players on the varsity level.

“I knew he was going to be an essential part of our offense in the next couple years,” junior wide receiver Thanio Bright said. “Diego has a strong arm, great mobility in and out of the pocket, and makes great decisions when it comes to options and read[ing the field].”

A huge number of seniors graduated from the team last year, so a lot more underclassmen are getting opportunities to play this year.

“We graduated 47 guys last year, so we only have 12 returning lettermen,” Ables said. “Players like Diego are going to have to grow up quick and step up. They’re doing well; they’re playing hard and doing the best they can, so that’s all we can ask of them.”

Tello has set big goals for himself to accomplish in the next two years.

“My goal for this year is to help my team win in any way,” Tello said. “Over the next two years I’m excited to lead the team, and the goal for us will be to [eventually] get to the state championship.”

Starting senior quarterback Trinidad Sanders injured his knee in the game against LT on September 13, so Tello will be one of the players stepping into his place as quarterback.

“Diego will definitely play at quarterback a good amount,” Ables said. “We hate to lose Trinidad, and it’s a big loss for us, but everybody is going to have to step up and play their best.”

With a major player injured and so many young players, Ables notes how this season will be very trying one for the team.

“The team is facing a little bit of adversity right now,” Ables said. “It’s like what I told the team at practice: when you go through adversity you find out what you’re made of. Ultimately, they’ll be closer together and stronger because of it, and they’ll be better because of it.”

Despite the challenges, Tello loves playing on varsity and being a part of the football program.

“I wouldn’t change anything [about football],” Tello said. “We have great coaches, and if everyone works hard this year, we will be a great team.”

The team is very close, which is one of the aspects Tello appreciates so much about football.

“My favorite part about playing for Bowie is getting to play with great teammates and coaches…[I want] to grow with my team and strengthen our brotherhood.”

After throwing his first touchdown against Lake Travis, Tello is excited for the upcoming games.

“I’m starting my first game on Thursday against Del Valle (Bowie won 38-21),” Tello said. “I will be ready to play any time my team needs me [on the field].”

He hopes to one day get committed and play college football.

“We take it one day at a time, and [he will] play a lot,” Ables said. “He has potential to start full time as a senior and later play in college.”

Tello has certainly made an impact on the varsity players and coaches, and he is expected to have a bright future in football.

“Diego is a future D1 quarterback; you heard it here first,” Bright said.