New change in UIL districts

Peter Dang

Pictured is sophomore Katie Cole.

Peter Dang, Staff Writer

Bowie athletics is about to get some new competition.

For the next seasons, 2018-2020, Bowie is going to be in UIL  district 25 with Akins, Anderson, Austin, Del Valle, Hays, Lake Travis, Lehman, and Westlake. Unfamiliar to Bowie as the school has been aligned with all of them in the past. The other big change is jumping from six to nine teams.

“It’s going to be a big challenge, the players know that and that’s what we are working hard for,” football coach Jeff Ables said. “They know when you go into this district you have to be ready every week.”

This off season many players are working to get bigger, faster, stronger and improving their skills.

“I’m excited to be back in a competitive district so that we’re ready for playoffs,” volleyball coach Miguel Saenz said. “I’m excited to be coaching at a high level.”

With consistent pitching, batting and defense, Bowie baseball has been working to train for new competition.

“I like our chances,” baseball coach Samuel Degelia said. “When you put on the Bowie uniform, everyone plays their best against us.”

Bowie volleyball has won district multiple times, but with new competition comes different challenges that thrills players.

“Playing in close games is really exciting,” sophomore volleyball and basketball player Katherine Cole said.  “The whole team fights together.”

New competition means new challenges, preparations to tackle them are starting now.

“We have district games early and our first game is against one of the best teams in the district,” Saenz said. “We have to be ready right out of the gate.”

Games might be closer with new competition, more possible nail biters, more cheering, and more eyes locked on a possible new aspect of the game.

“The district will be more competitive, we now have Westlake and Lake Travis,” basketball coach Celester Collier said. “Bring on the competition, I love competition.”