Mary Poppins Takes Over Bowie

Ellie Coulston, Online Writer

Emily Robinett
Eric Larson, Luke Evans, Haley Pousson and Joel Bowman take center start preforming a scene from the upcoming musical Mary Poppins.

Mary Poppins has come to Bowie High School and has taken over theater. Mary Poppins is showing in the Bowie High School theater on January 11-14 and January 18-21.

“The best part about working on this show is the people that I have met and just how much we have together on and off stage,” sophomore Anika Scoma said.

There has been a lot of work that has been put in to making this show happen, starting in November.

“The hardest part about putting on a production like this is without a doubt the time commitment. The first rehearsals are 2 to 3 hours, and we have 6 hour workdays every Saturday, and during tech week we have rehearsals for about 4 to 5 hours, while the show is approximately 3 hours long. It’s so much fun but it leaves you exhausted,” sophomore Maya Armand said.

This show is different from the other performances from Bowie.

“This show is different from other shows like Tommy [a show previously put on by Bowie] from last year because it’s a posh British show and it’s a classic that everyone knows,” Scoma said.

Mary Poppins has a large cast and several students have put in their time and souls into this production.

“I joined this production because it honestly so great to be a part of something this grand exciting. We put our blood sweat and tears into this show and seeing it all come together is truly a beautiful moment,” Armand said.

Though there have been tons of upsides to the performance, there were some struggles.

“The hardest part about putting on the performance is the fact that is was a completely different time period and accent as well so that was something I struggled with. Also, in the dance numbers there are a lot of complicated hand movements,” sophomore Ella Waggoner said.

The students have spent so much time with each other that they have gotten closer as a group.

“We have all become very close. We spend so much time together after school and on the weekends working to make the show as amazing as possible and seeing  the finished product gives us all such a great feeling of pride and accomplishment as a team,” Armand said.

Emily Robinett
Jamie Muras shown helping Maddy Sparks get ready for her role as Mary Poppins for rehearsal.