Silver stars winter show

Madisen Johnson, Staff Writer

The Bowie Fall Showcase is a performance to show the talents and skills that the dance students and silver stars have learned so far this year. The show is premiering  on Thursday November 30th, and is open to anyone. The show consists of the dancers performing in large groups, small groups and solo dances.

The silver stars and all of the other dance classes perform dances featuring the skills that they’ve obtained since the beginning of the school year.

“There is a variety of performances in the fall showcase,” junior Brooke Winn said. “Featuring group dances from dance classes one through four, silver stars, and solos.”

The performances are meant to show off the skills of the new dance classes and allows them to show their parents what they’ve learned in school.

“The show is important because everyone has been working hard all semester improving their skills and that is something that we want to show off,” junior Olivia Hanna said.  “We have the fall show as a good closer to the semester.”

All of the dance classes participate in a group dance together which have ranging styles of dance, unlike for solos and small group, when it is only specific people who perform.

“The instructors at Bowie or outside dance instructors choreograph the group dances depending on which dance,” Winn said. “For solos and trios, the performer can choreograph it themselves or get help from an instructor.”

The dances that they do vary in style and all of the dancers have a particular style that they prefer.

“In the show, I am pretty sure there multiple styles including Jazz, contemporary, and musical theater,” Hanna said.”

The fall showcase requires a lot of practice and rehearsals to make sure the dances are good enough to be performed for everyone.

“It is a lot of cleaning from both the directors and the dancers,” Hanna said. “We go over every count and make sure that everyone is doing the same thing so that it looks good on stage.”

Not only do the dancers have a lot of work to do in preparation for the fall showcase, but the directors have a lot of tasks to complete to make the show happen.

“The directors are the ones who pick out the songs, costumes, choreograph most of the dances, decide our hair and makeup, and how they want the lights to look like on stage and other things like that,” junior Andrea Bowen said.  

Each year there is a fall showcase and a spring showcase that the dancers at Bowie participate in.

“There is not a theme for the fall showcase,” junior Andrea Bowen said. “But there will be one for the silver star spring showcase.”

Everyone in dance classes performs in one dance together.

“If you wanted to do a solo in the show you would have to audition,” junior Heather Wolle said. “But other than that you are automatically in it if you are in a dance class.”