Why is student leadership important?

Madison Johnson, Staff Writer

In many classes, teachers do not allow for students to have leadership roles or allow the growth of their leadership skills. The student leadership class allows students to grow their skills as leaders and prepare them for being leaders among their peers and can eventually even be applied in their future jobs. A good leader is someone who has confidence, a positive attitude, and can communicate assertively, among other things. These skills are all taught in the student leadership class through mentoring freshman, organizing events for school participation and raising awareness for several causes.

This is a very important class because if a student is not in a sport or leading a club or organization they tend to almost fade into the background. Students do not have to be the most outgoing people to be in the student leadership class as long as they have an intention of helping students and leading their school. That makes student leadership a very unique class.

Student leadership is a class that requires an application and an interview to be accepted. Not a lot of students and faculty know about the class or what they do for our school. Not only is it a class that helps students gain leadership skills but they also have various projects that they do to help the school and students.

Some projects that they have done are the No Place for Hate parade, the David’s Law presentation, and there is always a project unique to every year to encourage students to make Bowie a better place. The No Place for Hate parade is an annual project for them where they put on a parade and a fun gathering in the courtyard. It is essentially a for people to stand together to stop bullying.

Recently the leadership class made a video to explain a new law, David’s Law, that was passed to end cyber bullying. You probably saw this video during a FIT period once. They also had banners in the courtyard for students to take the pledge to stand against cyber bullying.

The student leadership class was also created to provide freshman who are overwhelmed with their first year of high school and who need mentoring. Mostly, they help with school related problems, but the student leaders can also help them with their stress management and personal problems they may be having. Another contribution that they make to Bowie is that the students lead fit sessions that any student can be referred to or sign up for. The fit sessions cover skills that are necessary to get through high school and help students with their stress management.

The student leadership class does not get the recognition that they deserve. They are here to help students better themselves and their schoolwork management. There should be more organizations like the student leadership class to help students learn things that could be applied in the real world and to let students have the opportunity to be a leader at their school.