Tennis Sisters aiming for state

Mia Barbosa, Sports Editor

For sophomore Gigi Francis and senior Jolie Francis, growing up they were always around the tennis courts. Both girls started to play the sport at the age of five and they would even play against each other over the years at the grandma’s house for fun. However, now, over a decade later, the two play together in matches as a duo more often than not.

After competing together for the entire school season and working hard to get past regionals; sophomore Gigi Francis and senior Jolie Francis are going to the state tournament to compete in doubles tennis. The tournament is in College Station and is on May 18th and 19th.

Gigi had quit playing tennis for a few years to play softball instead but she came back to be able to play with her sister on the school team.

“Before it was only me and my mom and my sister and I wasn’t really on a team or anything,” Gigi said. “When I got to school I really started to enjoy it because the atmosphere of being on the team and having a bunch of supportive friends around.”

Last season, when Gigi joined the team, her and Jolie had different partners so when the sisters found out they would be playing together this season they were unsure of how to feel about the arrangement and even were left a little nervous.

“When we started to practice together we realized that we did pretty good as a pair, but then we went to a tennis tournament to play together and when we won we were like ‘oh my god we’re actually really good player together’,” Gigi said. “After that we started to win our other tournaments as well and that’s when we got enough confidence in ourselves so that going into regionals we could actually win.”

The fast connection that Gigi and Jolie shared on the court may seem like it would be expected, however, many people were surprised at the way they were able to be as successful together as the were.

“I’ve been practicing with and against my sister ever since we were little kids and people might think that would make two people enemies but I really do believe that it made us more tolerant of each other,” Jolie said. “Playing with each other has forced us to learn to compromise and understand each other because if we don’t, we’ll lose.”

The girls’ mom, Kristi Francis, thinks that the girls’ ability to play together so well is admirable.

“When I watch them play I think about how well they work together as a team and how they are able to cooperate, which is not easy to do with someone that you are comfortable with,” Kristi said. “Familiarity often breeds contempt and this is more often true on the tennis court.”

After spending so much time together on the courts the girls have been able to study each other’s style of play in order to improve their chances against opposing teams in their matches.

“We really understand what our strengths and weakness are so we can help each other based on that,” Gigi said. “My forehand is better than my backhand and Jolie knows that so she’ll help with that by trying to get the ball going towards my forehand instead of my backhand.”

While Gigi and Jolie have helped each other by being able to read each other so well, they also aren’t shy to tell each other when they need to do something better in the match.

“Our arguments on the court are much more common and catty than if I was playing with any other teammate,” Jolie said. “But we are usually able to look past our frustrations and focus on our match and winning.”

Gigi agrees that the two of them may yell at each other on the courts if they feel frustrated because they feel more comfortable with each other to be able to be more honest about the others playing.
“At practice when we start getting mad then our coach will just start laughing at us and then he just walks away,” Gigi said. “Practice is when we get the most angry but during a match I try not to get too upset and I try to be as supportive as I can so we can do well.”

Going into state the girls are making sure to continue their hard work and teamwork but for Jolie she is more focused on other aspects of the state tournament than just winning.

“At state I hope to make it to the semifinals but I’m not too stressed about it because my greater goal is to have fun,” Jolie said. “Sometime during state will be my last tennis match and it doesn’t matter when it happens for me because I know I’ve had a great run during my high school tennis career.”

For Kristi she also has Jolie’s mentality of not only being concerned about whether or not the girls win and has some words of wisdom to give to them as they head into the tournament.

“Making it to state is an accomplishment in and of itself, so celebrate it and don’t put undue pressure on yourself to achieve more,” Kristi said. “When you are relaxed and having fun you play better, I really think that you can beat your first round opponents if you play smart and relaxed.”

Being able to relax is something that Jolie is capable to do more easily now that she is older and has acquired a stronger comfort on the court.

“When I was younger I was always so nervous whenever I stepped on the court to play a match,” Jolie said. “But after so many years of experience I’ve become more confident and relaxed during a match.”

Gigi thinks that their compatibility is what gives her a sense of calm when they head into a match.

“When we play together on the court it’s very helpful because we both go out there and relax, we don’t take long warm-ups and we get out there and start playing,” Gigi said.

Jolie’s goal heading into her senior year of tennis was to make it to the state tournament so for her she is already satisfied with how far she’s come this season.

“I know the competition at State will be much more difficult than anyone else we’ve played this year but I’m going there knowing that I’ve reached my goal of making it to State,” Jolie. “I know that it’s a great accomplishment that we’ve made it so far so I hope to just try my best and have fun.”

Photo by Mia Barbosa